Tv Talk

As much as I love to read, I would say tv is more of a love for me. I actually picked my MOS (job specialty) in the Army based on my love of tv, audio video documentation specialist, if you were curious. Of course, our television watching has changed tremendously with the advent of streaming platforms. We don’t have cable and we don’t watch live tv, that being said, if I’m not in the kitchen listening to a book, the tv is most likely on.

When I’m watching tv with Arran, we watch one or two episodes at a time. When I’m watching alone, I am a total binge watcher.

Since it’s January, I’ll share some of my favorite shows from last year. Some shows stream on Netflix or Amazon here that might be on a different platform in a different country so keep that in mind.

Schitt’s Creek (Netflix) and Ted Lasso (Apple) were 2 shows that I absolutely loved last year. Schitt’s Creek I loved to much, I re-watched it as soon as I finished it. The funny thing was a year or two, I started watching it but just didn’t get into it so I stopped. This year, after all of the Emmy wins, I decided to give it another shot and just loved it. I thought it would be a show about rich people who I couldn’t stand but it turned out to be a show about a family, who I loved, who used to be rich. It was wonderful to watch their evolution as characters and a family. David and Patrick’s love story was absolutely beautiful. I found myself crying in so many of their scenes because the moments were just so pure. This is a show I’m already ready to watch again. I’m in love with the Rose family and will be for a long time.

My other favorite show was Ted Lasso. I didn’t really know much about it going in (since we don’t have live tv, I don’t see a lot of commercials) but I knew it was done by Bill Lawrence, who was the creator of Scrubs and I loved that show. Just like Schitt’s Creek, it was a show that just made me feel good. In a year of great angst, having a show that had people I loved, with a good heart was a balm to my soul. Ted Lasso is a fish out of water show, Ted is an American football coach who moves to England to coach British football. Even though it’s a sports themed show, it’s absolutely character driven. I found myself looking forward to the Brit going to work, so I could watch more of my show (he had no interest, worked for me, it meant I could binge it). I’ll be giving this a rewatch soon.

We just finished watching season 3 of Star Trek Discovery (Netflix). I have to say, this was the best season so far! It had a slow start but it just got better as the season went on and I really loved the fact that they featured more of the cast, especially Wilson Cruz.

Currently we’re watching season 5 of The Expanse (Amazon). I have to say, The Expanse is one of my favorite sci-fi shows. It’s just really well done. My only complaint this season is there’s not enough Amos and the crew is all separated. That being said, it’s still as awesome as ever and if you enjoy sci-fi, you need to check it out.

We’re also watching Cobra Kai (Netflix). I’ve been wanting to watch this show since it came to Netflix but Arran hadn’t seen The Karate Kid yet so we had to watch that first. I’m thoroughly enjoying this series, it’s so well done. Love the evolution of Johnny Lawrence and seeing things from his point of view. I root more for him than Daniel in this series.

I binged Bridgerton (Netflix) last week. I read the books when they came out, back when I read a lot more historicals but I didn’t remember the storyline, which I think is for the best. Those who read the books recently or remembered the storyline were more disappointed than I was. While I didn’t love it, I did enjoy it. I thoroughly enjoyed Benedict and Eloise’s relationship and can’t wait to watch Colin and Penelope’s relationship develop. And I also really liked Anthony Bridgerton who I just recently watched on Crashing (Netflix) a Phoebe Waller Bridge show that was much too short (in case you want to see more of him).

And the last show that I just finished binge watching is The Wilds (Amazon). I wasn’t planning on watching this, it’s about a bunch of girls who crash land on an island. I figured it would just be filled with teen angst but Mindy Kaling mentioned she was watching and loving it on twitter so I figured I’d give it a shot. While there is plenty of teen angst, it also has a very strong Lost vibe to it. I don’t really love flashbacks and back and forth storytelling in books or movies but they did manage to hook me and now I can’t wait for season 2.

Now you see I wasn’t exaggerating when I said I really love tv, lol. Now the problem is, while we have some shows we need to finish once we finish Cobra Kai (The Expanse is only 1 episode a week), I need a new binge watch. So what were your favorite shows last season and what are you currently watching?

8 thoughts on “Tv Talk

• January 19, 2021 at 8:41 am

The Wilds. I loved that and can’t wait for the next season. I heard that Outer Banks is also going to have another season. Fingers crossed!

• January 19, 2021 at 10:20 am

I don’t watch the Outer Banks but I forgot to mention in my post about The Wilds, how much it frustrates me that 1. why has no bottled water washed up on shore or was in the plane? 2. Dot watches survival shows, there are palm fronds everywhere and they still haven’t made a decent shelter! 3. Why did they wait so long to start looking for food? oh and 4. Would have wanted a shower or a swim in the waterfall before sexy time, ewwww.

• January 19, 2021 at 10:15 am

Kev & I love Ted Lasso and can’t wait for Season 2! I watched Schitt’s Creek when it first came out but couldn’t keep up so I stopped. I plan on watching it again b/c I really enjoyed the episodes I saw. I am slowly watching Bridgerton so I can savor it. I have The Duke & I on audio so I listened to it again but this time I saw Simon and Daphne as Rege’ Jean and Phoebe–WONDERFUL!!

• January 19, 2021 at 10:24 am

We are tv twins! Yes, go back to Schitt’s Creek, you haven’t even gotten to David and Patrick’s love story yet. One of my favorite couples ever!

I don’t savor when I can binge, lol. I did wait a couple of weeks to watch Bridgerton because I had to be in the right mood but once I watched it, I devoured it. My big complaint with the show is while it featured a lot of black people in various roles (loved the Queen and of course the Duke), where were the other ethnicities? I saw an asian in the background a couple of times but if they are going to do colorblind casting, should really include all of the colors! That being said, I really want to read Colin’s and Penelope’s story again but will wait until after I watch it so that I’m not disappointed. The books are always better!

• January 19, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Sorry can’t help…I do not binge or watch any series…Not Netflix, although I have access to it on my TV, not Apple, not Amazon…pretty boring, huh? Glad you enjoy them, I just can’t sit still long enough…oh, and I rarely watch a movie!! Would rather read, walk the dog or listen to music….

• January 19, 2021 at 7:45 pm

LOL, I’ve seen you in action Peggy, you’re right, you never sit still long. Whereas I’m starting to get a butt print in my couch. 🙂

• February 9, 2021 at 8:20 am

I love Schitt’s Creek and quote from it all the time, lol. Definitely one of my faves. I’m going to try to watch Ted Lasso soon. It sounds like a series I’d love! I need to catch up on The Expanse. I’m only on season 3. Lots more to go.

I watched a Korean zombie series that was pretty good as well as a Korean zombie movie. Guess I was feeling a bit grim, lol!

Next in my queue right now is The Sinner. Netflix just added a new season. Hoping it’s as good as the first two seasons!

• February 18, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Just re-watched Ted Lasso last week. As good the 2nd time as the first. You’ll have to let me know what you think. I love the Expanse, you definitely need to catch up!

I think Ted Lasso will be the perfect antidote to your zombie movies, lol.

Loved the first 2 seasons of the Sinner but didn’t hear good things about the last one so I haven’t watched it. Will be curious to hear what you think.