Let’s talk books

I’d like to get back into talking about what we’re currently reading but since we haven’t talked books in a good long while, I’d figure we could talk about books we’re excited about and also some books that we really enjoyed in 2020.

I’ve been touting the books of K.F. Breene for the past year. She’s definitely my favorite author of 2020. She has a nice sized backlist which helps. Her books remind me of some other authors I love, she writes in a few different genres (whatever she’s feeling at the time) and she has a ballsy personality online that I enjoy. I’ve actually received messages from 2 of my friends who checked her out due to my recommendation and really enjoyed her, so that makes me happy. Her Demon Days, Vampire Nights series is my favorite, it’s ongoing and has a very Kate Daniels feel to it. Born in Fire is book 1 in the series. If you want a compete series, then start with her DemiGods of San Francisco series. I don’t normally love books that feature gods, they are too all powerful, but I really enjoyed this series and there are a lot of great characters in it. Sin & Chocolate is the first book in the series.

Another author I want to mention is Darynda Jones. I really loved her Charley Davidson books and was sad when they ended but it looks like the series is going to continue I’m a different way, if you read The Graveyard Shift, a novella featuring Garret Swopes (a must if you’re a fan of the series) you will be very excited. I did a re-listen of the series last year and am looking forward to The Gravedigger’s Son, which is coming out in May and features Quinton and Amber. Sad that it’s also a novella but happy to still be in that world.

That being said, I wanted to do a blog post about A Bad Day For Sunshine, a new series by Darynda and just never got around to it. If you loved the Charley Davidson series, this is a must read. The voice and feel is very similar to Charley Davidson while still being uniquely it’s own. I’m very much looking forward the next book in the series, A Good Day for Chardonnay (I’m also loving the titles).

Both authors released a series starring women over 40 last year. I liked some and loved some. I don’t mind featuring women going thru a change of life but I have some issues with logic that just really throws me off. I need to go back and finish one of the books to see how I feel after I’ve finished it.

Currently I’m in the middle of re-listening to Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooter series. I have to say, the Navy SEALs series is holding up pretty well. A couple of years back I reread some of my older Julie Garwood’s, books I used to re-read every year, and they did not hold up as well (don’t stone me!). I used to buy the Brockmann’s as soon as they came out but I didn’t read the last book, Izzy Zanella’s because the reviews were so bad. So if you have read the series, should I skip it again? I did skip Jule’s book this time around because while I loved him as a character, I just didn’t enjoy his book the first time around because it felt like Brockmann was trying too hard to teach versus entertain.

And finally, the next book I’m really looking forward to listening to is Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews, one of my favorite authors. I love the Kate Daniels series and am excited to re-visit it with Julie’s story. It came out on the 12th but the audiobook isn’t out yet. I can’t wait!

So, what books did you love last year and what books are you excited for this year (or even this month?).

Also, One Woman’s Junk by my friend and client JB Lynn is currently free. It’s book 1 in her Psychic Consignment Mystery series. If you like cozy mysteries then you’ll enjoy this one.

10 thoughts on “Let’s talk books

• January 15, 2021 at 10:42 am

I absolutely love JB Lynn’s books and I’m so glad you turned me on to her. She’s now an auto-buy for me, right up there with Ilona Andrews. I need to spend more time reading. I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘too much time reading’…

• January 15, 2021 at 11:07 am

So tickled to hear this! I adore her.

Are you super excited for the new Ilona Andrews? Julie and Derek, squeee!

I definitely need to spend more time reading because there are authors I want to read who don’t do audiobooks. Hopefully the world calms down and I can spend more time snuggling in bed reading.

• January 15, 2021 at 2:39 pm

We (Josh and I) were so happy to read the last two Dresden Files books, released just months apart in 2020. There was so much that happened in the two books that we are all left guessing where the series will go next. It has had all atwitter.
    I have also been listening to the Band of Brothers series. It is a fun series about a band of young Vikings who travel the northern hemisphere. They are easy reads/listens, have adventure and are just funny sometimes.
    I will say I have been reading less and less. Part if it is just the crazy year we had in 2020 an part of it is the multiple platforms I have books downloaded to. I download a book and forget where it is and am to lazy to track it down. We moved a while ago and I have to move my library – so havent even borrowed books on my libby account. After typing this is seems like I need to make time for reading… somewhere between work, video games and binging TV shows. Thanks for the reminder.

• January 15, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Oh, I knew you were looking forward to the new Dresden book, how exciting that there were 2 new books in the series! Glad that it didn’t disappoint and you’re still enjoying it.

You mentioned that series to me. It sounds like fun. I might have to check it out. I wonder if it would be something Ethan would enjoy. You know I want to keep him reading.

Girl, you definitely need to read more books, but not if it takes away from our game time, lol.

• January 15, 2021 at 6:51 pm

I’m so happy to see your blog again! Always a good (and tasty) read. – My 2020 had less reading than usual, which seems contrary considering all the pandemic time we had on our hands. I blame it partly on a Sunday subscription to the New York Times. That paper takes me an entire week to finish! Thanks for the updates on books you’ve been enjoying, they went right on my ‘to read’ list. I happen to be reading another one of Ilona Andrews right now, from the Edge series, not quite the Kate Daniels series. Looking forward to her new one as well. What I did read this last year were more mainstream writers like Neil Gaiman, Ta-nehisi Coates, a couple books from the Queer Eye guys, and whatever else might be on said New York Times book pages lol. I’ve made a goal for this year to get back into reading for fun!

• January 15, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Hi Nancy! I’m happy to be blogging again. It’s one of those things I make into something big so then it overwhelms and then I just let it go, lol. But new year, new resolutions so trying to not let it feel like a thing and just enjoy it.

It’s funny, considering people had more time than normal, from what I’ve seen, people have been reading less. Maybe a lot of them have the Sunday New York Times to read, lol. Do you do the crossword puzzle? I can only figure out a couple of words on a crossword puzzle unless it’s entertainment related.

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the books I love, fingers crossed you love them too!

I enjoy all of Ilona Andrews’ series but the Kate Daniels ones are definitely my favorite.

Yes, reading for fun is the only reason I read. Hoping to have a lot of book discussions this year.

BTW, I have loads of food pictures to share, be ready!

• January 15, 2021 at 8:20 pm

I have Blood Heir up next and looking forward to reading it. Last year involved a lot of comfort reading. I went back through a heap of series and I have to say the best ‘new’ to me series was Seanan McGuires -Toby Daye series starting with Rosemary and Rue. A fae community in San Francisco.
    I also loved Melissa McShanes -Last Oracle series about a magical library.
    Series re-reads for comfort were – Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch, everything by Patricia Briggs, Eileen Wilks, Ilona Andrew’s, Nalini Singh. You can tell I was after the ‘not quite this world’ type of story 🙂

• January 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm

I think that’s why I started listening to the Troubleshooter series again, I know and love them. So glad they aren’t letting me down. In a time a chaos, it’s nice to turn to books that you’ll know you’ll enjoy.

Oh, I’ve never heard of Seanan McGuires but it sounds intriguing. I love books that involve the fae. Going to try and remember this when I’m between new releases. The Melissa McShanes sounds interesting as well.

Totally understand why you wanted to escape into books that were not quite this world. The real world wasn’t as fun in 2020. Plus, you names some wonderful authors!

• February 9, 2021 at 8:05 am

I haven’t been reading as much these days. I’ve listened to a few books on tape during road trips that were a bit mediocre, mostly thrillers and mysteries, but other than that, I’ve been doing mostly binge watching. Although I did get in some zombie books and am listening to a fantasy novel right now.

I totally need to re-read some Brockmann. I just love the Troubleshooter series.

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely going to give them a try. Hoping to read more in 2021!

• February 18, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Girl, you love your zombies! The Brockmann re-read was fun. Hopefully you will read some books you enjoy this year!