Let’s talk books, specifically book series

I love talking books with people. I remember my joy when I found RBL Romantica over 20 years ago (eak!) while searching for some new books to read. It was an online romance reader message board. Finally, people to talk about the books I love with! Nancy read the books I loved since I always passed them on to her but she couldn’t remember characters, titles or authors (she’s gotten much better) which makes discussing them a little difficult.

With the advent of social media, we got to interact more closely with authors that we loved but on the flip side, we talked less about the books we loved as a whole, it became more author specific. That may not be the case everywhere but it’s definitely the case for me. Part of the issue is, I know a lot of authors and I also work with authors, I understand how much a negative review can impact an author. So while I talk books in person when I’m with book friends, I don’t really talk books as much online, where I have loads of book friends.

I’d like to start talking books again. The great thing about RBL Romantica is they never flamed an author or a book. So I’m going to try and talk constructively, but passionately about books. I miss it. If this post goes over well and people jump in to discuss, we’ll keep discussing books. If not, there’s always food and travel. 🙂

Last week I read (listened) to the last book in KF Breene’s Demigods of San Francisco series, Sin and Surrender. I was a bit sad that this was the last book in the series, even knowing that there will be a spinoff and it made me think about other series, I loved and didn’t.

Back in the day, the go to was trilogies but since we all become so emotionally invested in these characters, 3 books is no longer enough. Every time a series I love ends, I never want it to end. Then I think about all of the book series I was once so passionate about that I lost interest along the way. Either I felt like the books were becoming too repetitious, I got bored with it, got tired of the slow pacing, or the series had some books in it that I just didn’t enjoy so it made me fall out of love with the series.

I was trying to think of some long running series that I still love and I couldn’t really think of any. I really loved Roarke and Eve’s relationship on JD Robb’s In Death books and actually enjoyed the slower pace of their relationship but I didn’t like the murder mystery part of it and that started taking up too much of the story so I stopped reading her.

Actually, I just thought of an ongoing series that I’m still enjoying, Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark. I think it helps that every book features different characters, so even if I didn’t love one book in the series, it doesn’t mean I won’t love the next (usually I’ll give a series another chance if I didn’t love a book in the series, unless I was really disappointed in a book).

That’s why, even tho I was sad to say goodbye to Demigods of San Francisco, to the point where I tried to listen to it slower to draw it out), I’m happy it ended before I abandoned it. Same with Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels series. It’s probably one of my favorite, if not favorite urban fantasies and I was not ready to say good-bye but am happy that their story was wrapped up before Ilona Andrews spun off different worlds.

What about you? Do you keep reading a series, no matter what or will you lose interest along the way? I look back at so many books and series that I loved and no longer read. I’m sort of sad about it but then I think of all of the other books there are to read and I get over it.

26 thoughts on “Let’s talk books, specifically book series

• June 25, 2020 at 9:07 pm

If a series gets boring, its time to jump ship. Life is too short to read books you no longer enjoy. Some series I read, the first few books were good, but it was the same story formula over and over. There are a few that are keeping my interest, like the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh – I love every book of hers that I’ve read. I don’t have much time to read for pleasure, but when I do I catch up on the few series I still follow. Less than six months to go and I’ll have time to read for pleasure, again

• June 25, 2020 at 11:39 pm

I love Nalini Singh’s Psy-changeling books but never checked out her Guild series. Maybe I will give it a try.

There is definitely a sweet spot when it comes to how long a series should last. I think the writing determines it.

Glad you will soon have time to read for pleasure again, you’re such an avid reader.

• June 25, 2020 at 10:05 pm

I’ll sometimes quit a series, but only if I’ve been very disappointed several books in a row, or if I don’t like the direction it’s going. Usually I’m pretty go with the flow though. I just have to space out the books so I don’t get burnt out on the style. I’m really enjoying the style of Darynda Jones’ Charley Davidson series, but the main character is very “on” and quipy, so I space them so I don’t get tired of her. I somehow never have trouble finishing Charlaine Harris’s series. I tend to inhale them. But generally it takes me years and years to finish a series. I think sometimes if I don’t finish a series it may be because I’ve outgrown it. Maybe it was a genre I adored once, but I’ve evolved a bit and prefer other sub-genres now. That’s usually why I don’t like it when a series goes on too long. I don’t like leaving them unfinished, but I might also be over it.

• June 25, 2020 at 11:42 pm

I love the Charley Davidson books! If I’m into a series, I have no problems binging it but like you, I think I just sometimes move on past a series. Unlike you, I never finished the Sookie Stackhouse books. I stopped on the last one, the reviews were so bad and I didn’t like the book before so I just didn’t read it, even though it was a series I once loved.

• June 25, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I love several of the series you write about…but most recently, I started trilogy by Nora Roberts..Year One, Of Blood and Bone, and third beginning is The Rise of Magicks. (Yes, that is spelled correctly.). Year One was actually published in 2017, but goes along with what is happening today with this deadly virus….I was intrigued and once started did not want to stop reading!!

• June 25, 2020 at 11:45 pm

I’ve never been a die hard Nora Roberts reader. It felt like too many of her characters were similar but she does have a wonderful way with words. Not sure I’m ready to read a series about a deadly virus right now, lol.

Do you always finish a series or do you stop if you lose interest?

• June 26, 2020 at 8:32 am

I read Chronicles Of The One as they came out. The second one was a bit YA, but overall I really liked it.

• June 26, 2020 at 8:37 am

Oh, I had no idea Nora Roberts wrote YA. It’s not a genre I seek out but I’ve read some I’ve enjoyed.

• June 25, 2020 at 10:46 pm

This takes me back to the days when i stumbled upon the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I was able to make it through the first 6 books no problem. Eventually though i felt like they were all just repeating a previous story with minute changes and it started to drag for me. Kresley Cole has always kept my attention and i believe is because she is indeed one of the few that does mesh in different characters, intertwines species and keeps you guessing. Lori Handeland kept me for a bit as well there with her shapeshifter series. I’m always willing to give a shapeshifter a chance. One of my favorites in a three book series was The Scribe by Elizabeth Hunter. It really had in my opinion some original characters and stories. There are 4 additional books in that series that I have not had the chance to pickup but they are on my list. I can tell you that i recently bought and IPAD and discovered Wattpad and the stories contributed on there can be a good quick read when on the GO. Only looked it up due to the fascination with the movie 365 dni on Netflix. I know women didn’t watch it for the plot, the sex was outrageous, the romance was lukewarm, so i needed to verify if the book written in Polish was any better.

• June 25, 2020 at 11:50 pm

I was all in on the Black Dagger Brotherhood books. And then I wasn’t. I was so disappointed in Phury’s book it really turned me off to the series. Plus, it was originally planned as a 5 book series but became so big she kept writing it which I think hurt it. I’d rather be left wanting more.

Keresley Cole does a great job of maintaining one giant world and individual stories. Hopefully we will get a new book from her soon and everything is alright with her.

I know the name Lori Handiland but not sure if I’ve read her. I might have to check her out since we have such similar tastes.

Omg, Su told me about 365 but I forgot to check it out. I really need to haha!

• June 26, 2020 at 8:36 am

I’m still working my way through 365DNI. For a movie with so much sex, it’s pretty boring.

• June 26, 2020 at 8:39 am

I’ve read books like that, lol.

• June 25, 2020 at 11:51 pm

Love to talk books! I’ve been on a weird very niche reading list lately. I want magic in London or libraries. So I’ve been reading Ben Aaronovitch, Charles Stross, Neil Gaiman, Melissa McShane, Paul Cornell, Jodi Taylor, etc. highly recommend all these authors.

I’m still loving Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs, ilona Andrews, Anne Bishop and a heap of other urban fantasy. I think in this bloody trying time we are all going through I need something either out of this world or supernatural to read.

• June 26, 2020 at 5:26 am

I definitely agree, too close to home I’m not ready to read. Magic in London is definitely a specific genre lol.

Looking at the list of authors, it doesn’t seem like you’re reading the authors we used to read back in the day. Does that mean you will walk away from a series as well? Patricia Briggs writes an ongoing one, I know Nancy loves her, so sounds like she’s able to maintain the quality.

• June 26, 2020 at 6:05 am

Gosh yes, I’ll walk away if it becomes too repetitive. Patricia Briggs has definitely kept the quality. I adore her books and re-read them frequently.
    Must admit my pure romance reading has tapered off. Although this week I’m re-reading some SEP for a light hearted break 🙂

• June 26, 2020 at 7:54 am

One of these days I need to check her out.

I’m still mostly pure romance. I have the newest SEP as well. She’s a nostalgic read for me.

• June 26, 2020 at 10:47 am

My top auto-buy authors are Ilona Andrews, Faith Hunter, and Patricia Briggs. I have a few others but these are always my favorites. I am enjoying the heck out of JB Lynn’s Hitwoman series and the one she’s currently writing and sharing with fans; One Flew Over the Raven’s Nest. Exciting!
    My dad was a huge Nora Roberts/JD Robb fan which always made me chuckle. I’ve got a couple of pictures of him napping with her book(s) laying on his tummy to keep his spot. Those are precious.
    I have noticed that my tastes have changed in what I enjoy reading. I’m looking for something different, that’s not written to a formula. One that I read by chance that blew me away was ‘The Graveyard Book’ by Neil Gaiman. It’s about a toddler that wanders into a graveyard and is raised by the ghosts there. Different!

• June 26, 2020 at 1:39 pm

I don’t think I’ve read Faith Hunter, what does she write?

Love that you’re enjoying JB’s books so much, I adore her as a person and her books are the perfect antidote for the chaos in the world right now.

And you know I love the idea of your dad napping with his Nora Roberts on his lap! What precious memories. So glad that you have photos of it!

I’ve never read Neil Gaiman. I tried to read American God’s but didn’t finish it. Just wasn’t my taste. This sounds interesting and something Nancy might like.

• June 26, 2020 at 11:15 am

I’m really enjoying this book discussion post, thanks for bringing it up, Leiha. I realize I’ve fallen out of the habit of reading romance lately. I have an enormous list of books to read, of many genres but mostly contemporary fiction. I enjoy them but miss the fun romps through a romance series. I adore Illona Andrews and Karen Marie Moning. JR Ward had me interested for a bit but hers was a series I dropped. I feel bad breaking up with an author but there are so many other tasty books out there I want to get to. Give me a good series and I’m in book reading bliss!

• June 26, 2020 at 1:35 pm

I’m so happy others want to talk books, I love it!

I just got a suspense book in the mail today, so outside of my normal reading habits but I know a lot of gals who don’t read as much romance as they used to. And a few, who hardly read anymore. There are just so many distractions. It’s why I turned to audiobooks. I don’t have (or make) the time to lie in bed in read but if I can read while doing something else, it’s perfect!

I totally agree on JR Ward and about the guilt, lol.

• June 26, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Oh, so many series. Most of my favorite series are paranormal. Richelle Mead Georgina Kincaid series, Jeaniene Frost Night Hunter series, Darynda Jones Charley Davidson series, Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse and Midnight Crossing Series, JR Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood, Patricia Briggs The Mercy Thompson series, Faith Hunter the Jane Yellowrock series Yasmine Galenorn Sisters of the Moon series Shelly Laurenston The Honey Badger series, Amelia Hutchins The Fae Chronicles Misty Evans the Kali Sweet series, Cecil Robson There Weird Girls series, Christina Henry The Black Wings Series, Shannon Mayer the Rylee Adamson series, Amanda Stevens the Graveyard Queen series, Cynthia Eden Blood and Moonlight series, Karen Marie Moning all her series, Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series, Ann Charles The Deadwood Mystery series Nicole Peeler the Jane True series, Michelle Bardsley the Broken Heart series, J R Rain the Samantha Moon series Sylvia Day (writing as S J Day) the marked series, Larissa Ione the Demonica series, Terri Garey Nicki Styx series. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s still my Erotica series, contemporary series….. I’ve been reading a really long time!

• June 26, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Lmao, so what you’re saying is, you never give up on a series?

Looking at your list of authors, I can’t believe I don’t see Ilona Andrews name on there. Have you read their books? They have a few different series out, the Kate Daniels ones are my favorite.

I also think you read Lexi Blake, don’t you? Her paranormal Thieves series? I love that series and just found out the next one is coming out in a couple of weeks. Yay!

• June 26, 2020 at 8:12 pm

I’ve looked at Ilona Andrews books more times than I can count but for some reason have never bought one. I’ve read Lexi Blake writing as Sophie Oaks, but not any of her Lexi Blake books. And yes I find it hard to give up on a series, but I will say that some of them I take really long breaks, like years, then go back and pick up the series again. Sometimes with paranormal, long series just get so complicated that I need a break. Some series I only read through the original set of characters and then stop. I think the perfect series would be no more than 6 to 10 books, quite frankly many authors seem to just be phoning it in after 7 or 8 books and I find myself reading their books out of habit.

• June 26, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Please check out Ilona Andrews, you could read any of their series (it’s a hisband/wife writing team). I love their books. Kate Daniels series is my favorite but also love the Innkeeper series and the Hidden Legacy series.

I read most of Lexi Blake’s books, most are contemporary but her para series, Thieves is really good. I highly recommend it. I need to do a reread before the next book.

Agreed about the series length. I think the world gets too big, especially with paras, it is hard to do justice to everyone or for an author (or me, lol) to keep track of everything lol.

• June 26, 2020 at 9:57 pm

I’ll have to try the Kate Daniels series. I can’t tell you how many times I carried the first book in the series around the book store only to end up putting it back for some reason. I’ll have to take a look at Lexi Blake’s paranormal, I didn’t realize she had a para series. It’s funny how trends change. Jess and I used to search the shelves at Borders and Barnes & Noble for Urban Fantasy and good paranormal books and they were few and far between, now there’s tons. I lost interest for a while and have read mostly contemporary romance, erotica, zombie apocalypse or dystopian genres. They are much easier to read and don’t require quite as much concentration for my getting older brain!

• June 29, 2020 at 7:49 am

I’ve done that with books I know I should read and for some reason, just wasn’t ready to read at the time.

Yeah, I was once a die hard paranormal reader, now I don’t think I’m too genre specific although it seems like I’m reading more urban fantasy lately. I think I follow authors more than genres.