Rock the Kasbah (of the Udayas)!

I love me some Morocco! One of the reasons this country appeals to me is because I’m a huge eater, and new spices make my brain percolate. Now I could wax poetic about all the foods that made me bust my elastic waistband while I was there, but today I’m going to focus on the eye-gasm known as the Kasbah of the Udayas, located near the medina of Rabat.

I think I can fit through the gate!

In Morocco, a Kasbah typically refers to a fortress or citadel built to protect the city against naughty invaders. Constructed in the 12th century, this particular citadel has been destroyed, re-built, expanded, abandoned, reinhabited and finally occupied by the Udaya Arab tribe in the 17th century; hence its current name, Kasbah of the Udayas. Thus endeth the lesson. Let’s get to the fun stuff!

Cute orange stand. Time for some Fanta?

At first blush, the Kasbah looks very imposing. After all, it’s supposed to instill fear in the hearts of its enemies. Once you get inside, however, the Kasbah is a feast for the eyes. Within these austere walls lies a magical realm of blue and white. These vibrant tones are peppered with arrays of beautiful plants and flowers adorning the sidewalks.

If you like interesting doors and decor, this Kasbah is a “must see”. Everywhere you turn there’s another cool door, another fascinating mosaic, another beautifully adorned window or another alley to wander into. Let your imagination run wild. I had the song “Rock the Kasbah” stuck in my head so I was imagining myself shooting an 80’s video in the Kasbah. I’m so cool in my own head, lol.

But wait, there’s more! Once you navigate through the cobbled streets of the Kasbah, your reward is a mind-blowing view of the sea. It was honestly one of my favorite parts of the entire Kasbah. The breeze can be intense but oh so refreshing. Keep your scarves tied on tight if you wander out toward the sea. I love the sound of waves, so I could have stayed there all day – with a (large) jug of wine, fresh fruit, and some local cheese.

You’ll want to be sure to hit the Andalusian Garden before you leave. It’s a great place to chill for a while before heading back to the hustle and bustle of Rabat. Enjoy the shade, the fountains, the beautiful flora, but mostly enjoy the cats. Yes, yes, the plant thingies in the garden were nice, but it was the feline contingent that made the garden stand out. Kitties!!

Kitties everywhere!

I’d definitely go back to the Kasbah of the Udayas for another visit because there were so many streets and alleys that I missed. However, I’ll be better prepared next time. My pockets will be filled with “Friskies”, and I may or may not add a dab of tuna juice behind each ear. I’m determined to get some Kasbah cat selfies!

Just in case you need a sugar fix. OREOS!

Su

If laughter is the best medicine, you definitely need an extra dose of me.

8 thoughts on “Rock the Kasbah (of the Udayas)!

• June 19, 2020 at 1:36 pm

I didn’t realize Morocco was so beautiful! I love the blue and white color combination. If they had cute dogs wandering around, it would be absolute heaven!

• June 19, 2020 at 2:10 pm

Brenda, you’d love it! The food there is marvelously spiced. I may do just a food collage later, lol. The markets were fun too. There’s a lot to do and see there for sure! 🙂

• June 19, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Normally I would prefer a food post but the pictures are so beautiful! Morocco is definitely on my list. I heard it was pretty inexpensive too. What did you think of the cost?

• June 20, 2020 at 12:59 pm

I stayed FAR FAR FAR away from busy courtyards that cater to tourists. If you are willing to walk a little, the food is delicious and cheap, but you may have to wait a while to get your food because they cook it fresh. Also, you’re beverage choices will be more limited and they may not have ice. Mint tea is a big deal there so hopefully that’s something you enjoy.

• June 19, 2020 at 3:12 pm

The blue and white color schemes and the narrow alleyways made me think of Mykonos. And then kitty cats!!!… I mean gardens LOL It is so pretty and to hear it is a foodie heaven really moves this up on my must visit list.

• June 20, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Nancy, I think you’d love it there. There are cats EVERYWHERE. I could do an entire post on the cats of Morocco. Next time I go back, I’m planning on camping in the Sahara! I’ll be bringing my own sheets, of course!

• June 19, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Your photos are stunning….together with your colorful narration, it brought this to life. I had no idea it was so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! BTW, you would NEVER have to worry about getting through any door…my memory recall is that I believe my leg is bigger than you are ! ❤️

• June 20, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Thank you so much, Peggy! I’m so glad you enjoyed the pictures! There’s just so much to see there and the architecture is remarkable. I really enjoyed walking through the local markets. It’s great people watching and if you are a good haggler, you can totally score!