Leiha posted her packing essentials awhile ago and now that I’m getting ready for another flight, I decided to put together my list. There are some essentials that I just can’t travel without, especially if I’m leaving the county. I get twitchy if I forget these items at home. I actually have a “go box” that I keep these items in to make my packing game a little more efficient.
- Anti-bacterial wipes – Tons of them. I stash them in every single bag and jacket. I’ve used these wipes as toilet paper before. You gotta do what you gotta do! As a germaphobe, this is my number 1 essential!
- Re-sealable plastic bags – You never know when you need one of these. I’ve used them to hold a number of items – wet/dirty clothing and shoes, soap, leaking containers, mobile phone, etc.
- Lightweight waterproof jacket – If it rains, I’m ready. My jacket has vents in the sides so I don’t roast during summer or tropical rainstorms.
- Insect repellent – I am a mosquito magnet. It doesn’t help that I like to drink, and booze sweat attracts mosquitos. I carry mosquito repellent wipes everywhere I go, even when I’m at home.
- Noise cancelling ear buds –I’m a light sleeper so these are a must if you are traveling with others or are staying in a rowdy part of town. They also come in handy if you’re trying to avoid conversation with people around you.
- Universal plug adapter – Just like almost everyone I know, I’m addicted to my electronic toys. How am I supposed to play Candy Crush if my phone isn’t charged properly?
- Extra contacts and glasses – Accidents happen. Always bring more than you need. I keep extra contacts in my checked luggage and my carry on.
- Bottle opener – OMG! There is nothing more irritating than bringing a bottle of wine back to your AirBnB and then discovering there’s no bottle opener in the place.
- Pain killers – As many different kinds as you can get your hot little hands on. I’ve been known to suffer from hangovers from time to time. Some headaches just won’t go away without narcotics.
- Travel lock – I like to think that people are totally honest all over the world, but let’s face it, there are total shits out there that will steal your stuff, no need to make it easy for them.
Bonus Item: The most important thing you need to bring with you when you travel is a great attitude, that is essential. Without that, even the best packing job can’t save a trip gone wrong. Learning to laugh during tense and stressful situations can make an experience worth forgetting into an unforgettable experience.