Angelina Restuarant Rome, Italy

Just wandering into restaurants in Italy, I find the food hit and miss. I think we all have this dream of every meal in Italy being amazing and unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. I read an article that said the prevalence of tourists was one of the main reasons. The restaurants didn’t have to rely on repeat customers. Sad, but true. Because Yelp isn’t used as much in Europe, I found just because a restaurant had good reviews, it didn’t mean it was good, so do your research when dining out. Angelina Ristorante was a recommend from our AirBnB host who has a list of restaurants he recommended and it was also one of the restaurants Lina had on her list so Angelina it was.

We got to eat on the rooftop terrace which was wonderful. The bad part was we had to take 3 flights of stairs and if you had to go to the bathroom you had to go down 2 flights of stairs. But food was waiting for me at the top of the restaurant so I made the brutal to me (but not really brutal) climb.

Yay, finally we are all together!

Our reservation was later in the evening so it wasn’t too busy, which is nice. And our waiters were cute which was even nicer. Plus they were great about answering our questions, even if there was sometimes a language barrier. Angelina catered towards locals which helped with the quality of their food but we did have to take a cab to get to them.

When we go out to eat, we usually share with someone on the table so that we can experience more food. Unfortunately, Nancy lost her phone this night (she left it in the cab on the way home) so we don’t have her photos.

The bruschetta was amazing. We had the one with the mushrooms and prosciutto but Lina said the tomato one was fantastic also.

bruschetta Angelina restaurant, Rome, Italy

Underneath this pile of roasted vegetables was a burrata. I had never heard of it but apparently it has a mozzarella outer layer with a stracciatella and creme inner layer. Barb has been wanting to try it and you know I’m all in for anything with cheese. We were expecting the inside to ooze out, I even had the video running for the piercing but much to our disappointment, there was no ooze but what there was plenty of was deliciousness!
The Spaghetti alla carbonara was the best we had in Italy. Nancy might have ordered it at a few different restaurants, lol. The pasta was perfectly cooked with fantastic bits of  guanciale (in the states this is often made with bacon) which is a cured meat normally made from pig cheeks or jowls and of course eggs and lots of cheese.

I can’t remember which beef we ordered, there were so many and we kept going back and forth. I think we went with what the waiter recommended. The taste was wonderful but the meat was cooked a little too much for my tastes.

Considering that we ate before we went out to eat, you would think there wouldn’t be any room for dessert. You would be wrong. There wasn’t a lot of room for dessert and we were going to pass but the waiter started waxing poetic about the tiramisu, apparently they use local area cream and eggs and their recipe is unlike any other. SOLD! We were really full so we split a tiramisu and a pistachio ice cream.

I thought it was good but nothing life changing. According to Nancy and Barb, it was the best tiramisu that they had ever had. More pistachio ice cream for me.

I know I mentioned this in a previous post but seriously, when you’re ready for your check, don’t hesitate to ask. About a half an hour after we finished our meal they let us know their credit card machine wasn’t working. We told them that wasn’t a problem. They didn’t come back and bring our check until a half an hour after that, after we had gone up and asked for it. Since Nancy and Barb had flown in that day, they were even more tired than normal and an hour after we finished our meal, the glow of a wonderful meal was definitely dimming, LOL.

Overall, we were impressed by Angelina Ristorante. I would definitely recommend it if you are ever in Rome, Italy but I like our second night’s dinner in Rome even more! Will tell you about it soon.

15 thoughts on “Angelina Restuarant Rome, Italy

• January 23, 2017 at 5:00 pm

This was a fantastic evening – the location, locals not tourista, the open air roof top location – and the best of friends! I agree the food was good, but was not awe inspiring.
    I think the best meal we had in Italy was the ones that Lina made in the farmhouse!

• January 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Lina’s food was definitely amazing!

• January 23, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Mouth is watering just thinking about that meal!!

• January 24, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I could eat some of that pasta right now and I just ate dinner!

• January 24, 2017 at 6:06 am

Ahhh! Thank you for the pictures! Your waiter was cute! Some people can just pull off bald and make it look hot; he’s one of those. I hope Nance got her phone back at some point.

• January 24, 2017 at 1:52 pm

No, it was gone to never be seen or heard from again. The good news is it was a work phone so one phone call and the phone was dead. I didn’t have to worry about it being hacked and personal information being stolen.
      Leiha let me use her extra phone and when I was on my own I used a kindle and messenger to communicate. They got me a new phone when I got home and (because I know you are worried) I didn’t even loose any of my Pokémon.

• January 24, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the bald look but this guy was very cute! The other waiters were cute also, one looked like a younger Wolverine.

• January 24, 2017 at 12:51 pm

First, thank you for the compliments

Second, I’d like to mention that both of those tomato bruschettas are mine. I was expecting about 2 inch little slices, instead I got enough to feed everyone, which always works for us.

This was a great evening. I remember the pasta bowls were gigantic, like washbowls. I have a great pic. Also the cab driver was lost and I had to give him step by step directions off my gps to get us there. LOL

Hope you will be writing about our other dinner in Rome!

• January 24, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I loved the giant bowls, was disappointed the pasta didn’t fill it up, LOL.

I will definitely be writing about our other meal in Rome. I have the menu which will help me remember everything!

• January 24, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I loved the food at Angelina’s. I did not know about spaghetti carbonara before this dinner and this post reminded me I need to try to cook it at home. Josh is getting better and better at making homemade pasta.
    The tiramisu was transcendent. We begged for the recipe but it is made with special cream that can only be obtained in Italy. Next time I will order 2!

Another thing about eating out in Italy is that they are not used to providing to go containers at the end of the meal. Each place we asked for to go bags had to scramble and create something for us. I feel like this meal had a large amount of tinfoil involved for us to take it home.

• January 24, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I forgot about the tinfoil & the waiters not understanding what we were saying. We always seemed to order too much because WE WANT TO TRY EVERYTHING!!!

• January 24, 2017 at 9:09 pm

The sad thing is we never have time to eat our delicious leftovers. I love leftovers and was so sad when we had to toss ours once we left Rome.

• January 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm

So true about the hit or miss dinners; however, we did have some really good meals. We just have really high expectations I’m not ashamed to say. ….and yes Lina’s cooking at the villa was absolutely memorable as always. Loved reading your blog cause I feel we were back sitting on the rooftop drinking & laughing. We had a great time that night but, of course, not from the vino. The waiters that night were enjoying seeing us all have fun. If I remember right we had several attending our table but they were a little shy come picture time. Even with jet lag it was a really good night especially with the company.

• January 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Part of the problem is most of the waiters didn’t understand us but they were game to try lol. Yes, our food expectations are high, not ashamed to say. We love food and know good food. <3

• Pingback: My favorite meal in Rome: Il Nido del Pettirosso - The Lu Lu Lifestyle