Oh the places you CAN go!

“Why do you go to those things? Aren’t you embarrassed?” They seem like odd questions now, but I used to hear them all the time. I am a huge fan of romance novels. I love them. Love, love, love them. Thrillers, paranormals, urban fantasies, historicals – I read them all. Romance novels are my safe place, my happy place. I get lost in them and feel forlorn after finishing an exceptional one.

A perk I never expected to experience was the remarkable camaraderie between romance readers. One of my first forays into this fantastic world of like-minded dreamers was the annual Romantic Times Convention in 2007. What an incredible way to meet and mingle with my favorite authors and their amazing fans. Oh yeah, did I mention there were cover models there, too? My eyes still haven’t recovered from the strain of trying to take in all the beefcake.

13087809_10208429967322048_6579335601464732271_n

I was so nervous about going, I even ordered videos from conventions past to try to assuage my anxiety. I had been romance-shamed by a few of my peers so I was a bit gun shy. I used to hide my book covers for fear of being caught reading one of those “bodice rippers”. The few friends that had revealed their secret love of romance novels definitely kept their habit on the down low. If not for message boards like RBL (Google it), I don’t think I would have had the balls to go.

Once I bit the bullet and bought my ticket, I felt kind of giddy. This was really happening! I was actually going to get a chance to breath the same air as these “rock stars”. Just like listening to your favorite song can evoke strong feelings of joy or melancholy, re-reading a favorite romance is like visiting an old friend, feels like we’ve never been apart.

I’ll admit, prepping for the convention was almost as fun as going. I read the RT Convention website over and over again. I studied the panels, schedule, and parties like a pre-med student studying for the MCAT. Geek much? Oh, yes! I was a little too shy to prepare a proper costume, but I managed to throw a few things together. By the time the actual day came around for me to leave, I was beyond excited.

My first series of blogs will be about my crazy newbie impressions and experiences. It’s an amazing way to make lifelong friends from all over the world, and I’m so glad I took that first step.

Su

If laughter is the best medicine, you definitely need an extra dose of me.

17 thoughts on “Oh the places you CAN go!

• May 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I cant wait for the stories! I hope you add pictures of your costumes also.

• May 2, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Forget her costumes, bring on the men!

• May 2, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I’ll be adding pictures of other people’s crazy awesome costumes. 🙂

• May 2, 2016 at 6:24 pm

There will definitely be more beefcake forthcoming!

• May 2, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I love you at the RT Conventions :). You’re a wild woman!!!!!!!

• May 2, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Good times! It’s always great to see you, a fellow wild woman!

• May 2, 2016 at 8:04 pm

There is no way you were ever intimidated by anything. Pshhhh! You so have your act together at all times it makes the rest of us mere humans want to take notes. But if you want us to believe you were apprehensive we’ll let you. Absolutely love the term romance-shamed. Does any reader get mystery-shamed? Or sci fi shamed? Hmmm…fascinating!

• May 2, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Thanks, Mary! One of my favorite memories ever was when we were sitting in the bar area at RWA laughing our butts off!

• May 2, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Love it! You rock those costumes girl!

• May 3, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Woot! Costumes definitely bring out my crazy!

• May 3, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Can’t we just explain ” bodice rippers ” as educational? I learned more history in my Zebra romances ( holographic image in the corner ) then I could have if I just read an encyclopedia… To this day Virginia Henley and Kathleen Woodiwiss are my faves.. But who can forget Johanna Lindsey … Knight in shining Armor… *swoon*.. I have to say my tastes are all over the board now.. But finding Darynda Jones because she was going to NOLA was a boon..

• May 3, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Wasn’t Darynda so awesome!

I totally agree with you about the educational benefits of reading historicals. Because the stories evoke emotion, I tend to remember the historical details and fax better.

• May 3, 2016 at 9:56 pm

I’m awful at remembering factual details and dates but I do love historicals.

• May 6, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I just realized I wrote fax instead of facts. Wow! Cold medicine and cider do NOT mix!

• May 3, 2016 at 10:03 pm

LOL you do know Jude Devereaux wrote Knight in Shining Armor don’t you? That was an early fave of mine although my heart broke for Nicholas. Funny how I haven’t read this book in 20 years and I remember his name but can’t remember the name of the hero in the last book I read!

• May 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

One of my first and my favorites!