Avocados: A Love affair

Today I’m going to talk about one of my favorite food groups, the lovely, creamy, delicious, avocado. Everyone mentions that they’re high in fats but it is a healthy fat. When I’m eating the way I should with lots of salad, I eat a lot of avocados.

A salad isn’t complete unless it has some avocados in it. I consider lettuce to be a filler in salads so I don’t always use it but avocados are a must. An easy one is an avocado, cucumber and red onion salad with whatever dressing you like and throw on a little cheese if you want to be decadent (which I often do). Avocado toast is apparently the rage these days. Yes, it’s as simple as avocado mashed or sliced on toast. I made some at home and it was delicious. Next time I want to make it and put guacamole on top because that would be even better!

Guacamole is my favorite way to eat avocados (although crab stuffed avocados are a close second). I remember the first time I came across this green lumpy mass, it was in middle school Spanish class. I said a firm no thank you to it and moved on. I can’t remember the first time I actually ate guacamole so maybe it wasn’t life changing but I can’t imagine my life without this delicious food! It’s not just for Mexican food. It’s great on top of burgers, on sandwiches (instead of mayo) and eaten with Tim’s Cascade Jalapeno chips (mmmm, so good!). Of course, it’s also fantastic with tortilla chips but that’s a given.

A couple of years ago I made a Mexican dinner for a friend and her parents and they had never had guacamole. They loved it and I was thrilled to  turn them on to it. If you’ve had guacamole that was bought at the store or made table side for you at a restaurant, it just doesn’t compare to home made. The store made one is usually bland or very citrusy (in order to preserve the color). As for the table side made ones, guacamole takes time to develop its flavors so having it made and served immediately is just not as good as if it was made an hour earlier.

Here are two recipes, simple and simpler:

The super simple recipe is 2 large avocados and spicy guacamole mix which you can find in the produce section of your grocery store. Cut your avocados in half, scoop it out and mix with the mix. A fork works best to mash and mix. .  Make sure you get the spicy kind. If you get mild, all you will have is mashed avocados there’s no flavor to it at all. Most people don’t realize how tasty and simple this version is. Try it, you will love it. I think it’s way better than any restaurant kind I’ve had because it has more flavor.

When I’m feeling more motivated I will jazz up my gauc. Add the mix, diced red onion, chopped cilantro and if you really want to get fancy, a couple of chopped chipotle peppers (you can find them in a little can in adobo sauce in the Mexican food section), seed and rinse off the peppers before you use. It adds a divine smoky taste to your guacamole. That secret ingredient is courtesy of Linda T. Sometimes I’ll even add tomatoes but I find it changes the texture too much for my tastes. This is a pretty forgiving recipe, make it to your tastes. The authentic way of making this doesn’t include the seasoning packet but quite honestly, it adds so much to the guacamole it’s worth it. If you don’t want to use the packet use some salt, pepper, jalapeno and lime juice. When I was on a girls vacation in Sarasota last year I was making double batches of this every day.

Avocado Tips: A ripe avocado (Haas is the one you want to use, more flavor) is darker and if you squeeze it, it will give. Don’t squeeze too hard, you don’t want to bruise it, just see if it gives. If I’m not using them that day I’ll just buy a bunch and let them ripen on my counter. If you’re not ready to use when it’s ripe, throw it in the fridge.

To ripen quicker pop the little stem off.

Instead of peeling the avocado, cut it in half. Slice or cube it inside its skin and use a spoon to scoop it out. If you’re making guac just scoop it all out. I went to a restaurant where they would just cut in half and squeeze out the insides. I tried it but I would always have to scoop it out afterward so stick to the spoon.

To remove the pit they say to use a sharp knife and thrust the sharp side (not the tip) into the pit and twist out the pit. I’m always worried about cutting myself so I just use a spoon to scoop around.

Guacamole will turn brown. Squeezing lime juice on it will prevent it from browning but too much and you have a very limey guac. My Mexican friend used to keep the pits in her guac to prevent the browning but it only helps the area around the pit. What I do is put saran wrap right on top of the guac. Even if it’s in a Tupperware bowl, place a piece of saran wrap over the guac until it’s directly on top and make sure it’s closed around the edges. Then put the lid on. This prevents air from getting on the guac which in turn prevents it from browning.

What about you? Do you have a love affair with avocados like I do? I’ve heard they make great shakes but as much as I love avocados I’m leery. Have you tried it? What’s your favorite avocado recipe? If this was Watch What Happens Life and the word of the night was avocados, you all would be drunk right now!

21 thoughts on “Avocados: A Love affair

• May 2, 2016 at 10:47 am

I have had Leiha’s guacamole and I can honestly say it is as amazing as she describes. The addition of cilantro gives it a delicious twist.

• May 2, 2016 at 4:15 pm

I made guac for Andy’s party and it was devoured. Someone used a spatula to get the last bit out of the bowl. Made me very happy.

• May 2, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I love the cowboy caviar with avocados. (corn, black-eyed Peas, cilantro, onions and other yummy stuff) You introduced me to that, it is healthy, fresh and delicious.

• May 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm

You do love it, it makes so much I only make it for parties but it is perfect for the summer! Will have to dig that recipe out to post later on.

• May 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I’ve never had avocados, and how come in all my visits I’ve never had your guacamole?

• May 2, 2016 at 4:17 pm

How in the world have you never had avocados? You know if I had known that I would have made guacamole and many other avocado related things. Are you sure you’ve never had avocados? I know I’ve made salads for you.

• May 3, 2016 at 1:38 am

You know in my family, salad is mostly lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions, cucumbers and maybe you would be lucky and get radishes, I think I’m very adventurous with adding peppers! LOL

i don’t remember having any in a salad. i’m now wanting Lina’s kale salad I had that one time!

• May 3, 2016 at 10:15 am

Lettuce is so light on nutritional value that my salads are very light on lettuce, except my mom’s beef salad, that’s a lot of iceberg lettuce but it’s so delicious.

Lina makes amazing salads. I love them all.

• May 3, 2016 at 12:09 am

#AvacadosOnErrthang #AvacadosForPresident #ForRealILoveAvacados ❤️ Those guac packets changed my life! I also haven’t worked up the courage to try it in a smoothie. Maybe you should come over & we can take the plunge together!

• May 3, 2016 at 12:27 am

OK we’ll have to do it. I know Bernadette loves them. Sometime within the next couple of weeks we’ll take the plunge. We do love everything else with avocados!

• May 3, 2016 at 5:57 am

Honestly, I’ve never been a big fan of avocados until I met you and you introduced me to your guacamole. I can eat an entire batch. Actually, I think I’ve done that on a few of our get-togethers. Seriously, I could survive on your cheeseballs and guacamole. I’ll have to buy the mix and see if I can mix up some magic on my own. Saw a recipe online for avocado fries. Just a thinly sliced avocados fried in coconut oil. Sprinkle some sea salt and you’re good to go. I know it doesn’t sound so appealing but it’s actually good. I tried it last week and they tastes like french fries. It’s by no means your guacamole but it may be something you can include in your love affairs of avocados.

• May 3, 2016 at 10:04 am

On one of my girls trips to Vegas we had an amazing meal at Nobu and Lina ordered the avocado tempura. Deep fried avocado sounded weird but it was amazing. Can’t wait to try your avocado fries!

I had this co-worker who would sprinkle some salt over avocado and eat it with her rice. It was delicious. I sometimes do that. Your sea salt comment made me think of it.

• May 3, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I’m currently on a avocado kick because I’m trying to get these healthy fats in… I like to buy and season from scratch but I’m not adverse to buying the mini’s and eating it on the go..
    I think avocados are bland but they have a ” green ” smell / taste to me, can easily be covered …. I’ve had them in protein shakes.. Also I made a key lime pie( key ingredient avocado) with a date/ nut crust .. Delish… Found it in a cookbook that is Raw.. Eat Raw Not Cooked is the title .
    As a kid I was dang picky.. But we lived out of country quite a bit and I don’t remember by German mother making it.. But my Dad is from Texas and that is where I reside now…if I try a new place I buy their guacamole .. Best salad I ever had.. Diced avocado, red onion ,diced tomatoe( no seeds).. And a bit of dressing ( not ranch) .. It was so Devine.. I ate it for breakfast in Austin … Omg I still dream of that salad!

• May 3, 2016 at 10:10 pm

I make a salad similar to that but replace the tomatoes with cucumber. When I grow tomatoes then I add them but I only like the sun gold ones. My friend Lina makes amazing salads because she does her own dressings. I’m salivating just thinking about it.

Interesting on the key lime pie. I’m leery but would try it. I once added peas to my guac to make it go further, I found a recipe for it, totally ruined it and I love peas. Just not in my guac, LOL.

• May 4, 2016 at 8:38 am

I love Bacalo Salad , it’s a cold cod fish salad that is served with avocados. It’s all kinds of yum.

• May 4, 2016 at 9:18 am

I love fish but never had it with avocados. Sounds delish!

• May 4, 2016 at 8:40 am

Also I make a wicked avocado rice. I love them , I usually eat one everyday.

• May 4, 2016 at 12:31 pm

From what I understand, avocados are considered a dessert fruit in Malaysia. In fact, avocado chocolate shakes are really popular. You should just try it once. If you’re still leery, I’ll drive up and make one for you. 🙂

• May 4, 2016 at 11:13 pm

I know you would know all there is to avocadoes! We do have to meet up soon, avocado shake or not, LOL. I’ll text you!

• May 9, 2016 at 12:40 pm

I’m pretty lazy when it comes to my food prep (shocking, I know!), so my favorite way to eat avocados is to spoon out half an avocado into a bowl, spritz it with some Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle on some black pepper and eat it with a spoon.

• May 9, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Me too Cheryl! I’ve never tried that but I love with salt so I bet worcestershire sauce would be amazing! Thanks for the idea.